one other thing that changed today, which i forgot to mention, is that my trainer has added more supplements 8 weeks out so that i keep all the muscle i have so i don’t look like a little string bean! so for the past 4 weeks i’ve been taking the following supplements:
- multivitamin – of course!…everyone should take one and i swear by it. i haven’t been sick in almost 2 years (nock on wood!).
- psyllium husks – basically these little oat-looking flakes, that i add to my oatmeal in the morning for added fiber.
- l-glutamine – 5mg added to my pre and post-workout protein shakes to aid in preserving lean muscle mass during intense training.
- omega 3′s – i guess these are good for my nervous system or something, but all i know is that it’s better than eating a ton of fish…even though i usually eat it at least once a day anyway.
so here’s what fun fun things i started taking today:
- creatine – i thought this was for boys…super buff bodybuilding boys, but the more i’ve learned it’s just basically necessary for me to keep the muscles i have while i’m dieting down, and also help build strength too. don’t worry mom – i won’t look all bulky and gross…just super lean and muscular (hopefully!). i have to take TEN of these darn things a day…and they are ginormous horse pills! so 5 throughout the day with meals and 5 right before my workout. gag…
- ZMA – so i really should have been taking these the last 4 weeks (oops!) but i’ll be taking these right before bed…only catch is that i can’t take them with dairy so that definitely puts a kink in my greek yogurt and blueberries before bed! i guess that they will increase anabolic hormone levels (like i need more hormones!), muscle strength, and they’re supposed to help me sleep better too!
- BCAA’s (branch chain amino acids) – another little something to add to my protein shakes before and after my workout that basically breaks down this boat-load of protein i’m taking in to build muscle tissue.
so i realized that i had given the scoop on the workouts and nutrition – but wanted to make sure i give insight into this entire process, including my supplements. i can tell ya one thing – taking all the supplements does help get the water down faster! which i must say – i’m so proud that i only have a few sips left of my gallon before i head to bed. so nice to not have 1/2 a liter sitting there while i’m blogging! little highlight to my day: one of my friends at the gym noticed how my lats and shoulders are filling in so i guess something i’m doing is working!